Below are some additional resources we have compiled on making & makerspaces, Canadian suppliers for tools and resources, and additional links for 3D Printing, Arduino, and Circuitry.
- The Make Online Community, featuring a global makerspace directory and links to maker projects, the maker mission, and more.
- The Official MakerFaire Website
- The MakeZine
- SparkFun Electronics, a U.S. retailer with a comprehensive database of electronics tutorials.
- Instructables describes itself as “a community for people who like to make things.” This website is dedicated to sharing maker projects, including detailed tutorials on creating a variety of things (from woodworking to electronics to sewing, etc.)
- The Maker Shed, an online (U.S.) storefront from Make.
- Physical Computing & Maker Activities from Dylan Ryder (of The School at Columbia University).
- Maker Junior, a digital making community geared towards younger makers.
Unless otherwise specified, these Canadian suppliers feature a range of maker-centric toys, tools, and kits. You might find what you’re looking for at any of these shops!
- RobotShop (Mirabel, QC)
- Spectrum-Nasco Educational Supplies (Newmarket, ON)
- Kidder Science Kits (Richmond Hill, ON)
- Brault & Bouthillier Educational Products (Montreal, QC)
- BusyBee Woodworking & Metalworking Tools (Concord, ON)
- Lee’s Electronic Components (Vancouver, BC)
- Spikenzie Labs (Montreal, QC)
- Creatron Inc. (Toronto, ON)
- Solarbotics (Calgary, AB)
- ABRA Electronics (Montreal, QC)
- Canada Robotix (Greater Toronto Area, ON)
- BC Robotics (Nanaimo, BC)
- DigiKey Electronics Canada
- Tinkercad: Free web-based 3D design software.
- SketchUp: 3D modeling software available at multiple price points.
- Morphi: 3D modeling app available for iOS.
- Blokify: Low-floor block-based 3D modeling app available for iOS.
- Thingiverse: User-created 3D models to download and remix in your favourite software. Lesson plans with accompanying models available on Thingiverse Education.
- MakerBot: 3D printers and printing resources. Additional resources for educators — including applying for relevant grants — available on MakerBot Education.
- 3D Printing Glossary @ HP: Get familiar with 3D printing terminology.
(Thanks to the Lyndhurst Girls’ STEM Club for recommending this site!)
- MassPrint 3D: Lesson plans and resources to support 3D printing in schools.
- 3D Modeling @ Techy Teacher: Resources and ideas for 3D printing in schools.